We have established a worldwide reputation for top quality teaching and research since being founded in 1964. Over the past five decades we have grown to more than 11,000 students, including over 3,000 postgraduates, who come from all over the world to study at one of our three campuses in Colchester, Loughton and Southend.
- Research excellence – Essex was ranked ninth in the UK for the quality of our research and top for social sciences in the latest Research Assessment Exercise (RAE, December 2008).
- Student satisfaction – we are in the top 20 for mainstream English universities for overall satisfaction according to the 2011 National Student Survey.
- International perspective – we are one of the UK's most internationally diverse campus universities with students drawn from more than 130 countries.
Research-intensive – our students learn from academics at the forefront of their fields
Inclusive – we aim to support all our students to succeed.
International – we are proud of our diverse student community, strong links with leading universities across the world and the global impact of our research.
Interdisciplinary – we encourage our academics to work collaboratively across traditional subject boundaries to provide new insights to important issues and our students benefit from being encouraged to develop an interdisciplinary approach.
Essex has three vibrant campuses:
- Colchester Campus is based in historic parkland close to England’s oldest recorded town;
- Loughton Campus is the home of the world-renowned East 15 Acting School and has quick links to the centre of London;
- Southend Campus is located in the lively heart of the seaside resort.
Highlights from the latest Research Assessment Exercise (RAE, December 2008), the UK’s independent review of the quality of research at our universities, included:
- 22 per cent of our research was rated as ‘world-leading’ and more than 90 per cent was recognised internationally for its quality;
- we are the UK’s leading university in social sciences with politics and sociology ranked first, economics third and linguistics fourth nationally;
- in the humanities, history was ranked second, art history ranked ninth and philosophy ranked tenth;
- Essex Business School was ranked second in the UK in accounting and finance research.
- National Student Survey 2011 – 88 per cent of students expressed overall satisfaction with their course. This was well above the national average and placed us in the top 20 for mainstream universities in England.
- Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey 2011 – 85 per cent of respondents said their teaching and learning had met or exceeded their expectations, while 90 per cent said their overall experience as a postgraduate had met or exceeded their expectations.
- Postgraduate Research Experience Survey 2011 – more than 82 per cent of our research students who took part said their overall experience had met or exceeded their expectations.